Landscape Design, Build, and Grounds Management

Mold in your Mulch?

Have you noticed mold or mushrooms growing in your mulch lately? There are a few reasons why this may be happening…but don’t worry, it is not hard to get rid of! 

Most molds and mushrooms are not harmful to your plants, but they are an eye sore. Read below to find out how to get rid of it for good!

How does it get there?

The photo above is a common type of mold called “slime mold” or “dog vomit”. It is generally cause by over watering the certain area. 

How to get rid of it. 

There are many ways you can get rid of mold in your mulch. The most simple and cost effective way is to just shovel it out, but make sure you scoop a few inches past it to eliminate unseen pores. To prevent it from coming back, you may have to reduce the amount of water in that area. If you typically use a daily sprinkler system to water your mulch beds, you may want to consider hand watering a few times a week instead. 

Another preventative tip is to make sure your mulch is no thicker than 3″. When mulch is too deep, it can heat up in the center and dry out, killing the microorganisms that compete with molds and allowing it to be colonized by mold and fungi. 

Is it harmful to my plants? 

Fortunately, this type of mold is not harmful to plants. 

What not to do.

Do not spray mold with water to dissipate it. This will only make the issue worse. 

Happy to help.

If you have questions about your landscaping, call us at 248-393-1311.

Like our work?

Click here to leave us a review!

Affiliations and Memberships

affiliations
affiliations
affiliations
affiliations
Affiliations
affiliations
Call Now
Directions